Monday, May 5, 2008

I Promise...

I promise to not push the weather minumums when applying primer. When it is about to rain, I will not prime. When it is getting chilly, I will not prime.

I promise to read the primer application directions fully and when they say the product may be thinned with the appropriate thinner I will definitely thin.

I promise that just because it is high build primer I will not attempt to lay the thickest coat possible.

I promise never again to say "oh, its just primer, it will be okay".

I am so very very sorry...





Well, now I am back to where I was last October. All I need is a good weather window and I will apply the high build primer.

Curiously, there was a section on the cabin top that bubbled up a little. The green non-skid seems okay but the white stuff underneath had bubbled up a bit. Last year I thought I had ground out any area that showed signs of this bubbling. Maybe, since this area will have new non-skid applied which is pretty tolerant of minor blemishes, maybe I said 'good enough' a bit too early. I know it was smooth last fall though and this spring I could feel the little bumps. I attacked it aggresively with the sander and it is all smooth now. I guess I could remove ALL material except the raw fiberglass but I am not that big a masachist. I feel pretty comfortable with the level of preparation so far.



The final sanding turned up some minor areas to touch up with filler. The taffrail damaged the substrate when I removed it and I have been building up the top edge in stages. One more application should do it. I also decided not to remount my compass where it was installed on the aft cabin face so I need to fill those holes. I decided to fill the holes on the cockpit locker hinge attach point too. Just in case the replacement hinge doesn't have the same hole pattern. The forward hatch somehow got overlooked and the cockpit hatch lips are a little beat up. I am not sure how far to go with the cockpit hatches. One could get obsessed and spend a month trying to make them look good. With the lids down they look fine. I just don't want anyone to faint when they first lift the lid up and see how thin the cosmetic veneer really is...

So, to end this blog, here is a picture of the fine looking transom. One of the better shapes on my shapely boat.

3 comments:

Tim said...

Yay! Moving onwards and upwards.

ariel414 said...

Love the "cabintop" image - something kind of impressionistic about it. You could frame it and call it something like "Fogged In"...

Britton said...

The thought did occur to me but I thought it was just me being weird :-)