Sunday, March 20, 2011

Incremental Interior

The weather this weekend was nice enough to work around the boat but not warm enough for epoxies or adhesives so I used my precious remaining weekends before the launch to play with the interior some more.

I pulled back the tarp a bit and let Jenny peek outside a bit.

Saturday was full of fits and starts and running back for a missing tool or running to the store for the correct sized hardware. It was raining a bit too so I couldn't bring any wood from the house to the boat and had to make do with what was already on site. It was frustrating and I made little progress but by the end of the day I was finally settling into a pattern that would carry me well on Sunday.

So for Saturday, I managed to permanently secure the settee backs into place which improved the look of the interior a bit. Then I started fitting in the tongue and groove strips to the settee backs. On Sunday I cut and fit cherry plywood panels above the shelves behind the settees. Then I finished the tongue and groove strips on the cosmetic bulkhead and got about half way through the starboard side main bulkhead before I ran out of hardware and construction adhesive simultaneously.

Just as a reminder, the tongue and groove are anchored in place with screws to the plywood bulkhead with a bead of contruction adhesive to help keep the strips in place. Later, I will come back and cover the screw holes with trim or bung them depending on the location.

Snow in the forecast in two days but spring is definitely thinking about moving in. Hopefully next weekend willl be nice enough for some epoxy work so I can play with the hull where I danced through the rock garden on haulout day two years ago and reinforce the underside of the side deck on one side where an earlier repair isn't looking good enough to fully support a jib cleat that mounts on top.

Em tasol wantoks.

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Getting into gear

Believe it or not, I actually made it to the boat today and I actually did something that pushed the project forward. That's a good thing because the spring launch is 10 weekends away.

Without going back to the blogs, I think I spent about three weekends putting up the winter shelter. Without going back to the blogs I think I might have done about three weekends worth of work on the boat.

For the past few weekends I have been busy with snow removal and VIP guests which has left little room for boats. The time off was actually a good thing. There was definitely some burnout going on there; feeling the pressure to keep moving forward even when conditions were not in my favor. Taking a few weeks off and not worrying about the boat meant that I came back fresh and eager to play again.

Between the poor economy of a boat shelter and the benefits of a little time off, I am convinced that next year I am going to spend half a day stretching a tarp over the boat and then I am going to walk away for the winter and not worry about getting projects done. Less work and more time off is good for the soul.

That all said. I have ten weeks before the boat splashes again and I have a mountain of things I want to do.

First of all, I wanted to get those settee fronts out of my basement. The immediate improvement in the saloon cosmetics was nice. And then I found my first setback.

When I glued in the pieces that the access doors rest against, I forgot that the shelves in the lockers were flush with the rest of the supports. The settee panels want to lie flat on the supports but the pieces I glued in intrude into that same space.

I am spatially challenged and I hadn't considered what those pieces would do. My first thought was to cut back the front lip on the shelves but the problem with that is the lips are screwed in on the edges. My cutout would separate the lips from the edges where they were secured.

I didn't want to see screws in the lips when I was done so I removed the only other option. I made cuts in the pieces the doors lie against. (what are those things called..)

Its not terribly beautiful but I didn't spend a month re-engineering the doors either. In any case. I plan on keeping the doors closed most of the time so the miscalculation won't be immediately obvious. Next time I would forego the panels and use solid wood framing. Live and learn.

After getting the settee panels to lie flat where they were supposed to I found out that I didn't have the right lengths of hardware and my only source of good stainless hardware closes at noon on the weekends. I was out of luck there.

So I switched to mounting the lid for the trash bin. I screwed in the lip for the lid to rest on.

Then I decided I could no longer make my cheapie right angle drill attachment work and I needed to buy a new one. Then I found out my smaller drills were all missing or too small for the pilot hole for the weak brass screws I had for the hinges. That ended the day.

This morning I came back with new drills and mounted the trash bin door lid and handle. Then my boat neighbor plugged in a few extra extension cords to the same electrical outlet block and blew the breaker. That meant no lights and under the winter cover that means midnight blackness. It also started to rain so I couldn't bring more materials out to the boat without getting them wet. I have already learned that letting a little rain fall on the cherry panels is a bad thing. The black stains don't come out easily.

So not a ton of work done but it felt good doing it anyway. I am looking forward to a lot more progress in the coming weeks.

Em Tasol Wantoks