Sunday, January 9, 2011

Inside Job

Falling snow and the subsequent cleanup kept me from the boat this weekend. Instead, I spent some time at home working on the settee panels. Specifically, I worked towards getting the doors hung so that the panels could be installled permanently.

While the snow fell, I spent some time shopping around for a table saw. I didn't find what I wanted so the bandsaw was put in charge of ripping some cherry to width.

And then, since I didnt' need the pieces to be so thick, I re-sawed them.

And yes, I realize I need a better outfeed system...

When I made the cut-outs for the doors, my intention had been to build doors that mounted over the cut outs. After looking at the cutouts some more though I decided to go with flush doors that used the removed sections as the doors themselves. The cutouts were much cleaner than I had anticipated and the doors will be covered by permanent cushions so there really won't be much to see when they are all done anyway.

I ordered some cherry edge banding to cover plywood edges. Since I was going with flush doors I needed something for the doors to fit against. That is why I milled the thin strips out of the cherry.

When I layed out the pieces to be glued up I realized that I would need 20 clamps to do the job. I could only find four kicking around the house. Instead, I tried a technique that a friend of mine has been trying to convince me to try for some time. The technique is to use a hot glue gun to tack the pieces into position until the epoxy could set up.


I have no idea why I didn't try it out sooner. The technique works brilliantly with epoxy adhesives. Epoxy doesn't like much clamp pressure anyway. I spread out straight and thickened epoxy where the pieces met and then put a little dab of hot glue on the ends. In just a few seconds the pieces were held together with no danger of moving around.

Once I had the strips glued down I milled up a thicker piece of cherry to use as mounting pads for the door latches. At this point I decided that the panels should not be disturbed until the epoxy had set up. I should have thought of that first and made the pads before starting the glueing.

Oh well, there is always next week...

No comments: