Sunday, April 3, 2011

8 weekends left

I can hear the countdown in my sleep now.

The plan was to do some fiberglassing this weekend but some items I ordered last week are taking their sweet time getting to me.

I started off the weekend adjusting my reverse shift cable. The original Atomic Four direct linkage was removed when I put a fuel tank where the shift linkage used to be under the cockpit. The replacement was a series 64 cable that didn't quite work out last time. It looks like it should work but the Atomic Four doesn't have a real reverse gear, just a friction band, and apparently the band wasn't getting quite tight enough to get the propeller turning backwards. I learned this the hard way when I hit the dock at 3 kts while trying to dock in a crosswise current. I came in with some speed for steerage and the only way I slowed down on arrival was by crashing into the dock. Not one of my proudest moments.

Anyway, I only had a little extra adjustment room to play with and I adjusted the cable as much as I could to get a little bit more postive reverse pressure on the transmission lever. It is definitely not the cabling holding the lever back so I can only hope it will work this season. I find it hard to believe that my engine spontaneously unadjusted itself and needs an internal adjustment but if my correction doesn't give me a good reverse then that is the only thing left to do. Or maybe Atomic Fours just shouldn't be controlled by cabling. I have heard that A4's and shift ables don't get along well.

I only lost one set of pliers to the bilge monster while making the adjustment. Not so bad.

After that I decided to try cutting my toilet outlet hose for the fourth time. Seems I cut the first three times a wee bit short every time. 'nuff said about that. The hose seems to fit now.



I forgot to bring the hose clamps and I want to modify the back panel a bit so I didn't make the toilet work permanantly. I think I have some chance of a working toilet this spring though. That should be a nice change. oh- I hated the shelf I made for behind the toilet so I am making a new one. That's another reason for not securing the panel behind the toilet.



I have some 1/4 inch plywood patterns for the galley counter top that have been filling in for the real countertops which I haven't started building yet. First thing yesterday, I stepped off the companionway ladder, bumped one of the patterns and watched four full (and open) boxes of stainless steel screws that had been resting on the pattern, disgorge their contents gracefully into the bilge. The bilge is about four feet deep back there by the way. 'nuff said about that too.

So then I decided to spend some quality time on the engine box. That was very satisfying work but it took forever. There was lots of fussing and 'aha' moments. I first cleaned up the original teak bottom step and decided to use it for the time being- at least until the rough work in the cabin is done. I needed to slide the step further forward which meant changing the position of the stop cleat. Then I noticed the step would tip forward when putting pressure on the forward edge so I built little cleats to support the step and keep it from dumping someone unexpectedly on the cabin sole. Then I realized there was nothing keeping the step from sliding rearwards so I installed a second cleat.




Then I realized there was nothing keeping the front panel from kicking out so I installed yet another cleat on top of the step to hold the panel in place. Then I cut the front panel and oiled it to match the rest of the interior. I still need to build the middle step into the front panel but I was done playing with the panel that day.




Sunday I had More Big Plans but my lower back decided it wanted a vacation and decided to lock up about 30 degrees from vertical. Over the course of the day it got a lot better but I never managed to get more done on the boat.

Now its just 7 weeks left...

Oh, I have decided to moor the boat in Salem MA this season. The benefits are a nice harbor with lots to see and places to sail to and readily available moorings. The con is the horrible traffic in and out of Salem. Salem isn't too far from my home but it will be over an hour's drive each way. Oh well, some people have it worse. Salem Water Taxi offers seasonal rental moorings at a good price (about half what I paid for the horrible mooring in the Merrimac river last time) which includes launch service. They have been recommended to me by a number of people. They also have moorings available immediately without a waiting list which is highly unusual on the North Shore MA. I don't think I want to keep the boat in Salem forever but I think it will be an interesting area to explore in the short term until I decide where the 'real' home will be - (most likely Maine)

em tasol.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That bilge is just hungry for more ballast. She'll be quite stiff in a breeze by the time you launch.