Sunday, February 19, 2012

Glueing up

I was in Maine last weekend looking over some other boat projects and this weekend I was glueing up more of the butcher block galley counter top.


To save material (I barely had enough as it turns out - 21 board feet wasn't really enough) I didn't make one big piece and instead just put wood where I needed it. That meant lots of cuts and little pieces.

The hole is for the new sink. Under the 'bridge deck' and along the outer edge will be storage areas that will be below the level of the counter top. I just plan on using plywood bottoms for the storage areas and will enclose the outside edge storage space in a locker made of cherry. Basically the same outline as the original Triton.

I was going to put a deep drop in locker behind the sink but the sink goes right to the edge of the 'bridge deck' so there wouldn't be much room for fishing out stuff from under there. I decided to store dishes behind the sink in a shallow drop storage area.

Rather than try to keep all the bits and pieces lined up while the epoxy set up I glued up the smaller pieces first and will link them all together with the full length pieces later. Its been a bit cool in my glueing area (basement) so I didn't feel like the parts were ready to come out of their clamps yet.


Next week for sure. The bigger piece on the glueing table is the center section over the engine box.

Other boat stuff this week involved going to the New England Boat Show. It was worthwhile. I have always grumbled about the big obnoxious 40 foot Sea Ray behemoths but in a spirit of fairness I decided to go on board one this week. I have to say, they might be fun for a weekend. I couldn't never afford them or the $1000 a day gas bill but they might be fun to use for a day. Nothing long term of course..

What I did like, more than the new sailboats actually, were some of the trawler yachts. I think in another 20 years or so I am going to have to give them some serious consideration. I love the roominess and ease of use and they aren't the ugliest things on the way (those Sea Rays might be though...)

I wasn't too excited by any of the sailboats I saw. I like my own best. The new hull designs just don't have the sex appeal of the older generations in my opinion. I did take the opportunity to look at their cabinetry closely and write down some vendor names and part numbers of the stuff I liked.

A friend of mine gave me some point and shoot video footage from a sail last summer so I linked it together in a pretty awful video. As bad as it is, it reminds me of sailing in the summer and it brings a smile to my face.

Summer sailing

Spring is coming :-)

No comments: