Sunday, September 13, 2009

Almost sailing

Today, I took some good advice and brought out my sails to check the sheeting locations. I am glad I did because I had some surprises.

The first, unfortunately, was that I forgot to bring my genoa- probably the most used sail in my inventory. That was dumb. My excuse is that there might have been too much wind to be fussing with the big sail. Its not a good excuse but that is the best I have.

The real surprise was discovering where the working jib and 'storm' jib sheet to.

This is a brand new, never used, 100% working jib I had made up a few years ago by Bill Withum sailmaker in Amesbury, MA. Good guy, great sailmaker, highly recomended.

(note: the dockline/jibsheet is only there to hold the sail out while I took pictures, the sail is obviously sheeted too far aft. I just didn't have anything else to tie the 'sheet' to)

I didn't specify much when I ordered the sail and I think Bill looked at my high cut genoa and just went the same with the working jib. It sheets much further aft than I expected. The boat originally had jib tracks on the sidedecks up against the cabin sides and forward of the deadlights. I had assumed these were for a 100% jib that never came with the boat. There is no way I would sheet this working jib that far forward and it looks like the track for the genoa is going to work for the working jib too.

The 'storm' jib came with the boat although I am not really sure it belonged with the boat. I found a minature spinnaker that might have fit a 12 foot dinghy in my sail inventory so maybe this sail was misplaced too. In any case, Bill felt it would be about the right size and thickness to work as a storm jib. It was hardly used and in great shape so I had him add a bolt rope so that I could run it up the roller furler. I don't know if I will ever use the sail but it is something to keep in the bag-of-tricks. It too looks like it will sheet to the genoa tracks so no additional tracks or blocks are called for at this point.

The only other foresail in my inventory (other than the forgotten 140-145% genoa) is a spinnaker I had cut by Bill into an assymetrical spinnaker. I loaned that sail out to a fellow Triton owner so hopefully I will get some feedback as to the proper sheeting location. Jenny had blocks mounted way back at the stern which I assume was for the spinnaker and where I assume the assymetrical will sheet too. Or rather I did assume until today's little revelations.

In other news I have a firm haul-out date of September 25th. Other than checking out the genoa I hope to start building some of the winter cover before the boat comes out so that I can get her covered quickly and keep her starving thin varnished teak protected. I am also betting on getting more deck hardware installed before it gets too cold and a quick cover installation will allow me to leave the deck open while this gets done.

Raising the foresails, seeing them fill and feeling the boat surge really made me want to go sailing. I didn't realize how much I missed sailing my own boat until today. With my upcoming schedule however I don't see this happening.

Soon Jenny will be safe and sound back where I can keep a better eye on her and start real boatwork again. I can hardly wait!


Tim said...

Yeah, it sure looks windy there in your photos...good thing you forgot the big genoa! ;<)

Britton said...

I didn't say it was a GOOD excuse...