Sunday, May 19, 2013


June 6th. D-Day.  Also known as my tentative launch date.

I was initially planning on an earlier launch but with the weather everyone is behind so I don't feel terribly bad about the late start.  I still have a couple of unopened quarts of varnish waiting for better weather.

Last weekend was a total bust due to the heavy rains.  The time wasn't completely wasted as I was able to load up that splicing video again and finish up my running rigging.  No matter how many times I make an eyesplice with the double braided line, I still need to go back to my reference video.

Not my most productive weekend but not a complete loss either.

My devious plans to abduct a partner to help me install my exhaust pipe didn't work out so well either.  Clearly I am going to have to up my game.  Next week I have been promised some help.  I hope so or I will soon be getting desperate.

This weekend among a bunch of small wrap up items I spent some time reviewing the engine which is the only real obstacle before launching.  I seem to be in pretty good shape.  I had planned on buying a pair of new water impellors this morning but my local supplier wasn't open.  I guess they don't open on the weekends until after Memorial day.  What is the point in that?

Anyway, materials are all there or on the way so I feel reasonably comfortable about the engine.  Rigging is basically done.

While not the most important thing I could be working on I spent some time on my interior again this weekend.  I did some final sanding and oiling of the galley counter top.  I was a little concerned when I bought the specialty butcher block oil because it is completely clear and I was afraid it would add no color to my very plain white maple counterop.  Thankfully, the oil added just the right about of color and the oiled walnut looks really great.

After three trips to the hardware store for hardware (have I mentioned that I am dimensionally challenged?...)  I was able to secure the sink firmly in place.  And then I decided that I needed to leave the sink loose so that I could slide in the engine start battery.  Plus, I realized it would be better to add a bit of sealant under the lip of the sink so that random bits of water doesn't find its way to the storage locker underneath.

I did quite a bit of varnishing this weekend actually.  Today's weather was the first opportunity this year to lay it down.  It is a stretch but I am hoping I can get enough build coats on the settee backs that after a coat of satin finish I will be able to permanently install the locker doors.  Doors without hinges are annoying.  Installing panels acrosse the back of the galley would be victory too.  It won't hold me back from sailing but it looks so much more fnished with the panels in place.  Plus, I might be able to play around with the shelving over the summer.

Stovetop structure and a few other bits and peices were worked on as well but no pictures were taken.

I felt some real momentum today until I realized that last week's rains meant I had a grass field in my front yard this weekend.  My momentum died when I had to find and drag out my very neglected and unloved lawn mower. 

So it looks like I have a three day weekend to wake up the engine, finalize the rig and uncover Jenny.  Then one final weekend and then launch. The pressure is definitely there but I have some hopes that all will be well.  It will be more of a case of what gets done and what waits until next year.  Handrails for example; most likely next year sadly.

Fingers crossed.

Bunden er båtløs mann.  Men det er ikke meg!!

No comments: