Monday, May 28, 2012

Counters, Panels, Soles...

Well, when I took a look at my pictures I realized I hadn't posted in a few weeks. Here is the update as of today. First, the counter tops are in. Finally. Mostly... The countertop structure and surrounding panels were fussed with for a good solid fit and then the countertops were screwed into position. I stopped with screws in case I need to open things up again. One of the rare occasions when I left the epoxy in the can.
I ordered the wrong sized bungs so the screws are still exposed at this point and I haven't oiled the top yet. The starboard two pieces were epoxied together where they mate up. I know I said I didn't use epoxy but all I really did was turn the two pieces into one piece. Screws are still the only things holding the countertop in position.
After the countertops were in, I really wanted to start playing with the storage lockers. However, before I could do that I needed to sort out the the interior 'ceiling' or paneling behind the countertops. To make that happen I started with cardboard mockups that were transferred over to cheap plywood mockups.
I also cut up some blocks to anchor the panels too. I oiled the blocks and then epoxied them to the hull. I learned this great trick from a pro for securing stuff like this without elaborate clamping / positioning techniques. The trick is to apply the epoxy over *most* of the surface and on the remaining free area apply a dab of hot glue. The hot glue sets up in ten seconds or so and holds the blocks adequately until the epoxy can set up.
With the blocks in place (can't find those photos) I used the same plywood templates to cut up the foam insulation that has been applied to the rest of the living area of the hull interior. Once fit, I glued the insulation in place with contact cement. I didn't use the proprietory glue this time. Once again, I opened the can to find the glue had hardened. At $70 a gallon I decided I needed to buy something easier to obtain and in smaller quantities so it wouldn't go bad before the project ended. I have worked a lot with a 3M product called 1300L at my 'real' job so that is what I used this time. Looks and smells the same which is to say, very yellow and sticky with strong overtones of MEK. Only use this stuff with good ventilation. The fumes in a closed boat are unreal...
The side panels were cut and oiled but I didn't get a chance to secure them in place today. Here are pictures showing how they look at this point. Trim and concealing cabinetry have yet to be installed...
The panels are one of those things that once they are in place it seems like they have always been there and one wonders why it looks like nothing has been done lately. Now for that final aft panel.
My battle with mold in the bamboo sole continues. It is in the same location and this time I was more aggressive with the sander and the chlorox. Hopefully this will be the end of it. Otherwise, a small throw rug is going to become part of my interior decorating plan. To be fair, I must admit that I have had some help at the boatyard. So while I was hogging the aft end of the cabin I have been overseeing some work in the V-berth area and doing some of the critical cutting stuff. For a long time I have been looking at ugly undersole.
Now I have new bamboo plywood sole with a nice cherry kickboard in the V-berth :-)
Thank you 'L'. So that's the update. Next should be a little more paneling aft of the galley countertop. Perhaps some galley storage. I need to order and install the water foot pumps and connect the sink drain. I need to settle on a stove top and get that coming so I can move forward with that side of the cabinetry. The V-berth project is gaining a bit of momentum and I hope that will continue (hint hint...) When the weather gets more reliably dry (thankfully the warmth is finally here) then varnishing and the rubrail installation will become the top priority. Interior cabinets are more fun then varnish but when varnishing weather comes then that becomes top priority. Someday I will have a dry heated boatbarn so I can do my varnishing in February... That's it. Nothing more to say. The End. ... until next weekend... Laters, Taters ;-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That new sole up forward is SWEET.

mmmmmmmmm MEK overtones.

-MH

mgtdOcean said...

Hi,
I don't understand the use of blocks with hot glue? When you say it holds until epoxy is set, set to what? Also why oil the wood before epoxy? Seems this would interfere with the epoxy adhering to the wood. I usually give wood a thin coat of epoxy to soak the wood before the final filleting or glassing.
Thanks

Britton said...

The blocks were permanently adhered to the hull. I apply the epoxy to 'most' of the surfaces that will be glued together. But since the epoxy takes a few hours until it is strong enough to hold the block in position against the hull, I apply a dab of hot glue to the block and immediately stick the block to the hull. It takes about ten seconds for the hot glue to 'set' or harden which then holds the block in place until the epoxy has a chance to cure making a permanent bond between the blocks and the hull.

I could have epoxied the entire surface of the blocks but it is messy, and takes time since the epoxy has to cure before I can handle the blocks. Plus, its just overkill in that situation where the blocks will remain completely dry 99.9% of the time. The oil is just for that miniscule possibility of water intrusion and gives the wood a few decades of protection. Even untreated I can't imagine how long it would take for the fir blocks to rot out sufficiently to fail causing the panel to fall off. I used to epoxy coat everything but I have decided its just not necessary for most interior projects I am doing now.