Saturday, August 6, 2011

August 6 update

Still mostly winds in the 0-5kt or 20+ ranges; neither of which are particularly fun for daysailing in my opinion. Maybe if I didn't like working on the boat so much I would sail more but when plan 'B' is work on the boat its not too hard to forego sailing in less than ideal conditions. There has been a few more light wind daysails and there has been some small projects advanced.

Daysails are self explanatory.

Jenny came with an ancient roller furler and the furling line blocking was equally ancient.



Not only was the blocks decrepid but they stole several valuable inches in my all-too-narrow sidedecks. Anything to make a Triton's sidedecks wider is a good thing. Lucky for me Harken had a solution. Side note: I love love love Harken. I use Garhauer a lot and their products are decent and very reasonably priced. If I can close my eyes to the price though I really like Harken - first class stuff. End of side note.



I ordered four of those Harken stanchion blocks; three for the stanchions and one for the bow pulpit. Mounting on the pulpit was a problem however.


Just skipping the blocking up forward stole valuable foredeck space.


The solution was to use the best of my old decrepid blocks for the bow pulpit. Those old ones handled the misalignment better. That means I have an extra Harken stanchion block if anyone needs it.


Other projects was tying off the jib sheets and furler line. The furler line I simply ran through an existing hole at the aft end of the coaming. At one time the traveler could be moved with lines that went through the coaming. With the traveler removed I had a half inch hole available. The jib sheets were secure to the coaming with some ... whatchamacallits, 'eye rings' or something like that. I had a couple of bronze ones that were removed from the deck. They are probably original to the boat.


That little project freed up the jib cleats where I had tied the sheets to. A simple and very satisfying upgrade.

I also put a sealer coat of thinned varnish on all the interior woodwork. The oil was looking a bit faded and the wood scratched easily. Since the woodwork was eventually going to be varnished with a rubbed effect finish anyway I figured I might as well get started.


I didn't want to get too far ahead with the varnishing before I got the panel screws plugged so I ordered some cherry plugs and installed them. Most of the screws will be covered by trim but the ones in the middle I needed to plug. I flirted with the idea of covering them with with some sort of trim too but I didn't like the look. Unfortunately, the plugs I recieved were all pretty light in color and I couldn't find any that matched the wood any better. Oh well. I will stop noticing the mismatch pretty quick. I wish I had done a better job of lining up the holes though.



And finally, my sailmaker came through and delivered on the new sailcover. I love the new color. I am not completing thrilled with the fit of the sailcover but its still a huge improvement. Seeing the new cover makes me want to get started on a new dodger. Given that I expect to spend 3-5 thousand dollars on a good dodger I am going to have to wait a bit.



While measuring for the sailcover, I began a discussion about cockpit awnings. By the end of the conversation I had an awning on order too. The awning isn't ready yet though. Another week or so I am promised...

And that is it so far. I am trying to figure out a time when I can take a few days for a mini cruise. Daysailing is okay but I really miss cruising...

Oh, one more thing. Another excuse I have for not sailing more is my darned Sporta-seat. With seats so comfortable its just too tempting to sit down with an interesting book and watch the world go by. I have done a fair amount of that this summer too. ;-)

5 comments:

TerROAR said...

Greetings! Just wanted to say I'm enjoying your website and blog very much, and keep up the good work. I was browsing for ideas for my own projects, and this post already gave me one! My folkboat suffers from very narrow side-decks and crappy furling line leads also, so I'm going to try that Harken 7403 block you suggested.
Cheers!
Teri
S/V Koan

brushfiremedia said...

Those Harken blocks are slick. ::want::

Anonymous said...

Great work
Antonio
Conceicao #195

Britton said...

Thanks for the good words and apologies for responding so slowly, I have been enjoying a bit of an internet vacation.

TerROAR,brushfiremedia, yes, I love those new blocks.

Antonio, thanks, I have enjoyed your youtube videos and would like to try my hand at video making myself sometime :-)

Indian Poker said...

Its a nice video.I have very enjoyed your video.Keep it up