Sunday, May 24, 2009


The good news is that the rain was a non-issue. The bad news is that the other boat I have been working on got pushed up on the schedule and I had to work on it today instead of my own starving boat.

Please don't ever try to 'help' me by applying colloidial silica as a fairing filler on the hull.

And 8 inch sanding discs on grinders should be outlawed.

First thing, I got the instrument panel in place. I went ahead and used tons of sealant. Who am I kidding thinking I will have time to remove it for varnishing before launch?!

Yeah, I never painted the backside. Primer only. Maybe someday.

The frame is screwed from the inside, through the fiberglass and into the frame. The panel is screwed from the inside, through the panel and into the frame.

And then I spent six hours sanding the hull of the 'Other' boat. Its half done. Luckily the other side is in much better shape. I was able to stop the fairing help before the owner got to the other side. Funnily enough, I was dreading the sanding with the memories of last summer still a bit too potent. In fact, I really didn't mind it much. Sanding hard stuff overhead is never fun - and my arms got tired quickly - but overall it was a rather pleasant and nostalgic experience. I can almost envision doing it again on a different boat someday...

It was late in the day before I got back on my own boat. I wasn't sure what to do first so I thought I would drag my mast over where I can work on it.

Having it in front of me will encourage me to get started on it soon. I really need to get started on it soon. Its been on the rack for three years. It looks okay - like a worn out aluminum mast - functional but not pretty. That's next year's top priority, overhauling the mast and attachments, painting the mast, replacing the running rigging, and updating all the sail controls. That was one item on my list for next year. Now I think it is the only item on that list. Reality is catching up with me.

So then I thought I would wire in my new panel. I miraculously had the crimp fittings for the #4 gauge wire going to the ammeter. I had no idea I needed them or that I had them in the spare parts bin. Lucky me. Then I realized that I had lots of extra length to the wires I had run out to the panel. Before I could shorten the wires and connect them I had to straighten up the rest of the wiring and make sure the runs were clean and organized. Once I got into that I realized that I hadn't settled on a position for the bilge blower. I sort of thought I would run the hose down the port side and mount the blower in a convenient out of the way place. (Note: on a Triton there really is no out of the way place!) On closer inspection though I couldn't find room to run the hose clear of the engine/transmission controls nor keep it a safe distance from the hot exhaust. So I ran it down the starboard side instead.

I can't say as I am crazy about the blower hose. I had another hose type in mind but when I priced it I found it to be around $10 a foot. This hose is actually marketed as a bilge blower hose. It isn't too tough though and I don't know how long it will be before I rip it. At least its cheap. That will console me when I am duct taping it three weeks into the season and trying to keep it going for a few more months... Last time I used PVC tubing but I found that made a loud echoing sound that I would like to avoid. The engine is so quiet that the loud blower bothers me. Its the only thing between me and true whisper (Stealth) drive.

The hose terminates alongside the engine on the starboard side. I would rather have it on the port side next to the carburetor since that is a likely source of gasoline fumes (besides spilling in the bilge) but it just wasn't to be. With the engine box (still to come) in place the blower hose should still promote good ventilation around the engine. The hose is just lying in place for now. It will be secured 'soon'. In the cockpit lockers I think I am also going to make a couple of panels that will lie inside and protect the moving stuff and hoses from stored items (most likely sails) Not ideal but workable for now.

Finally, as the sun was setting, I finished up the day by going back to tying up the engine electrical harness so that I can wire up the panel so that I can call the engine electrical system complete. I sure hope it all works and I don't have to pull apart the harness I just made.

Another ten hour day at the boatyard and I am beat. One more day and then I can go back to my 'real' job and rest.

Sleepy time... zzzzzzzzz

No comments: