Sunday, March 22, 2009


The temps didn't really make it into the epoxy or sealant range so I spent my time on backup projects. And those projects required bits and peices that I spent half of Saturday and Sunday shopping for.


At a reader's request, a picture of my bronze shift lever after a machinist was able to get it apart for me (that took half the morning too...)

I was waiting for a sheet of cherry veneered plywood to make the front end of the 'service center' when I realized that I should put insulation in there too. That also means that I will not have to have the hardware that holds my engine fuel system exposed to the interior. That's a good bonus. The bolt heads will be quietly hiding under a layer of foam.

The plywood came from my scrap bin (I save everything)and was at one time part of my settees (I think). 40 years later the wood is still fine. I didn't see a need to put new plywood in there.

On this panel I mounted my engine fuel filter and electric fuel pump.

Naturally, the fittings I used before won't work and I had to order some new fittings. I am thinking I might be able to squeeze in a 'T' valve to the left of the fuel filter that will switch the water supply between my two drinking water tanks.

Its getting a bit crowded in there.

I also cut a hole for the manual bilge pump hose that you can see from the right side of the photo. The hose goes under the starboard settee, makes a hard turn aft, goes through two bulkheads and out into the space under the cockpit. The hose exits the aft bulkhead just outboard of the cockpit drain seacock. I had a picture but it didn't show much. I had no access between the two bulkheads and it was quite a chore threading the stiff, curly bilge hose through the two just-big-enough holes in the bulkheads. After half an hour of getting no where I grabbed a 4 foot iron rod and stuck it through both holes. Then I ran the hose around the rod (rod went inside the hose) and into the hole in the first bulkhead. I just pushed the hose and the rod inside kept the straight and sent it out the second bulkhead. Not very interesting to read about I am sure but I was quite proud of my achievement.

Sadly, in the process of cutting the holes for the bilge pump hose, my 20+ year old drill motor died. It served me well. RIP old buddy.

Part of my morning shopping was to pick up a few items. At the hardware store I found these rod end attachments in a dusty bin in the back. The threaded part is too big but I thought I would fill the end with thickened epoxy, drill and tap for a smaller hole, and I will have a workable end fitting for my transmission shifter. We will see how that works out.

The other two items in the above photo are a drill and tap for a 3/4" pipe thread. That was a quick $70 purchase.

My plan for the drill and tap was to use them to install bronze fittings in the corner of the cockpits to drain the puddles that always form there.

I could have simply glued the fittings in but I figured I might someday want them out for some unknown reason. Besides, a good mechanic is always buying more tools. I had anticipated the bronze fitting extending nearly flush with the deck surface. I didn't realize the deck surface was 1-1/4 inch thick. I might have to do something to dress up the holes a bit. Not sure what exactly.

Speaking of new tools:

I am dying to try this out but I really should wait for a rainy day or when I am held up on other boat projects.

Other than that, I spent time searching out odds bits of hardware that I needed for upcoming projects and other non-boat related responsibilites.

Hopefully, next week will be a bit warmer and I can start installing engine controls.

Em Tasol wantoks.

1 comment:

Tim said...

Now I know where to go the next time I need a 3/4" tap.