Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Basic Info


"Jenny", (named after my dear sister), is a Pearson Triton hull number 680 built in 1966. She is a 'late model' Triton with the higher forward coach roof, teak toerail, wider keel with internal ballast. No two Tritons are really identical and my Triton has its share of quirks.

The engine is a late model Atomic four with freshwater cooling, electronic ignition, waterlift exhaust and a variety of minor mods. I would love a diesel engine but this engine had been recently overhauled when I bought the boat and with a little TLC and a few upgrades has purred like a kitten ever since.

The previous owner of #680 was David McKenzie of Biddeford Maine. I know very little of the boat's previous history, other than that the boat was well loved and would really appreciate anything I can find on her.

My experience on Jenny so far has been a 10 week cruise along the coast of Maine. Since that time my ambition has captivated my reason and I found myself digging deeper and deeper in an effort to improve the boat until I found myself with an empty shell of a boat. Luckily, I think it has been great fun and a great learning experience with no regrets but I am definitely looking forward to launching the boat next spring.

I might add descriptions of the work done over the past two years at some point but for now a VERY brief summary is:

Re-cored the deck as needed and cockpit sole.
Replaced aft chainplate knees. Added forward chainplate knees.
Repaired a previous repair on the forward bottom edge of the keel that was leaking a bit.
Two new water tanks, one in the V-berth and a second in the bilge.
A new, larger, fuel tank positioned under the cockpit instead of in the starboard locker.
A brand new toilet and holding tank.
New ground tackle and expanded sail inventory.
A small icebox in the former hanging locker area.
Lots of small stuff that had to be done before the finishing cosmetics could be done.
I almost had the deck and hull prepped for paint before the cold/wet winter weather set in.

This winter I will be making new standing rigging. A new paint job in the spring and hopefully a summer of fine sailing is in the immediate future.

No comments: